The Lost Families of Stratherrick, Strathnairn, and Dunmaglass, Inverness-shire, Scotland
This family is interesting in that I have been contacted by several descendants, both in the United States and in Scotland. click here to contact
It is also very interesting to me in that, we have to have some connection somewhere, our ancestors walked the same paths, lived in the same area................we will find a way through our brick wall some day!
Descendants of Alexander Dunbar
Generation No. 1
1. ALEXANDER1 DUNBAR was born 1760 in Invernesshire. He married ELIZABETH MACKINTOSH. She was born 1760 in Invernesshire.
Child of ALEXANDER DUNBAR and ELIZABETH MACKINTOSH is:
2. i. ISABELLA2 DUNBAR, b. 1781, Coignascalan, Moy; d. 13 Feb 1855, Shenval, Dunlichity.
Generation No. 2
2. ISABELLA2 DUNBAR (ALEXANDER1)1 was born 1781 in Coignascalan, Moy, and died 13 Feb 1855 in Shenval, Dunlichity. She married TAVISH MCTAVISH2 1802. He was born 1780 in Moy, and died 1855.
Notes for ISABELLA DUNBAR:
Children are Isabella, Elspet, then in 1855 mother's death recorded Angus 50yrs, Alexander 44 years, John 40yrs, Margaret 38yrs, Ann 36yrs, Duncan 34yrs. Isabella is buried in Boleskine. Lived in Shenval, Dunlichity for 25 years before her death in 1855.
Children of ISABELLA DUNBAR and TAVISH MCTAVISH are:
3. i. ANGUS3 MCTAVISH, b. 01 Sep 1801, Parish of Moy & Dalarossie; d. 05 Jan 1885, Baltimore, Maryland.
ii. ISABELLA MCTAVISH, b. 1804, Parish of Moy & DalarossieInvernesshire.
iii. ELSPET MCTAVISH, b. 1806, Invernesshire.
iv. ALEXANDER MCTAVISH3, b. 1808, Invernesshire; d. 22 Sep 1874, Dunmaglass, Dunlichity.
Notes for ALEXANDER MCTAVISH:
Brother John McTavish registered Alexander's death at Daviot which is in the parish of Daviot and Dunlichity in the County of Inverness. Alexander was single when he died. Age at death was 66 years which makes his birth year 1808. Cause of death was Asthma.
More About ALEXANDER MCTAVISH: Occupation: Common labourer
v. MARGARET MCTAVISH, b. 1810, Invernesshire.
4. vi. JOHN MCTAVISH, b. 04 May 1813, Parish of Moy & Dalarossie; d. 12 May 1891, Shervall, Daviot.
5. vii. ANN MCTAVISH, b. 1820, Altnoslaanach, Moy, Invernesshire; d. 14 Jul 1897, Dunnaghan, Daviot.
viii. DUNCAN MCTAVISH4, b. 29 May 1822, Invernesshire; d. 21 May 1877, Middlese County, Ontario Canada; m. ELIZABETH UNKNOWN5, London, Ontario, Canada; b. 1836, Unknown; d. 1897, Lobo, Ontario, Canada.
Notes for DUNCAN MCTAVISH:
Buried in Ivan Cemetery, Middlese County, Ontario, Canada.
Generation No. 3
3. ANGUS3 MCTAVISH (ISABELLA2 DUNBAR, ALEXANDER1)6 was born 01 Sep 1801 in Parish of Moy & Dalarossie, and died 05 Jan 1885 in Baltimore, Maryland. He married CATHERINE MCGILLIVRAY7 05 Aug 1832 in Baltimore, Maryland, daughter of WILLIAM MCGILLIVRAY and CATHERINE MCBEAN. She was born 01 May 1808 in Invernesshire, and died 03 Dec 1880 in Ontario, Canada.
Children of ANGUS MCTAVISH and CATHERINE MCGILLIVRAY are:
6. i. TAVISH4 MCTAVISH, b. 1833, Unknown; d. 16 Feb 1913, Lapeer County, Michigan.
ii. WILLIAM MCTAVISH8, b. 1835, Unknown; m. HANNAH LEWIS8; b. 1835, Unknown.
iii. JOHN MCTAVISH8, b. 1838, Unknown.
iv. ISABELLA MCTAVISH8, b. 1840, Unknown.
v. ALEXANDER MCTAVISH8, b. 1842, Unknown.
vi. CATHERINE MCTAVISH8, b. 1844, 1844; d. 12 Mar 1909; m. ALEXANDER MCCLEAN9; b. 1840, Unknown.
vii. DUNCAN MCTAVISH9, b. 1847, Unknown.
4. JOHN3 MCTAVISH (ISABELLA2 DUNBAR, ALEXANDER1)10 was born 04 May 1813 in Parish of Moy & Dalarossie, and died 12 May 1891 in Shervall, Daviot. He married JANE FRASER11 28 Aug 1856 in Balnuilt?, daughter of DAVID FRASER and JANE MCGREGOR. She was born 1827 in Scotland.
Notes for JOHN MCTAVISH:
Son David registered his father's death; he left his mark on the certificate with a cross. John McTavish's cause of death was infirmities of old age and Gravel 2 weeks. His wife Jane Fraser was still alive when John died. Place given at time of marriage was Sherval of Aberarder. Witnesses to the marriage were William Fraser and Duncan McGillivray.
Notes for JANE FRASER:
Found her details on husband's death certificate. Could not read the place of marriage. Address given at time of marriage Balnuilt, Daviot. Witnesses to the marriage were William Fraser and Duncan McGillivray. Jane was still alive when her husband John died in 1891.
Child of JOHN MCTAVISH and JANE FRASER is:
i. DAVID4 MCTAVISH12, b. 10 Nov 1860, Sherval Dunlichity Scotland.
Notes for DAVID MCTAVISH:
David registered his father's death in 1891 at Daviot in the parish of Daviot and Dunlichity in the county of Inverness.
5. ANN3 MCTAVISH (ISABELLA2 DUNBAR, ALEXANDER1)13 was born 1820 in Altnoslaanach, Moy, Invernesshire, and died 14 Jul 1897 in Dunnaghan, Daviot. She married DUNCAN MCGILLIVRAY14 31 Jan 1834, son of WILLIAM MCGILLIVRAY and CHRISTIAN MCKAY. He was born 1805 in Achnaloddan, Daviot and Dunlichity, Invernesshire, and died 16 Jun 1876 in Achloddan, Dunmaglass.
Notes for ANN MCTAVISH: On her death certificate she died from Influenza. Not sure of the right name for place of death could not read the writing very well-Dunnaghan Daviot. Grandson Tavish Shaw registered his grandmother's death. Ann and Duncan had 12 children that were living by 1855. In 1871 could not find her on the census with her husband and remainder of the family. Duncan and Ann married in 1834; I could not read the name of the place where Ann and Duncan married.
Notes for DUNCAN MCGILLIVRAY:
Son Alexander McGillivray registered his father's death. Death registered in Daviot. He died from disease of the heart. Birth certificate of daughter Janet stated that she was the 12th child. Six boys and five girls living. According to daughter Janet's birth certificate her parent's married in 1834.
Children of ANN MCTAVISH and DUNCAN MCGILLIVRAY are:
7. i. CATHERINE4 MCGILLIVRAY, b. 1835, Dunmaglass.
8. ii. ISABELLA MCGILLIVRAY, b. 1839, Achloddan Dunmaglass.
9. iii. ELIZABETH MCGILLIVRAY, b. 1843, Daviot, Daviot and Dunlichity; d. 25 Nov 1930, Inverness Infirmary Inverness Scotland.
iv. ALEXANDER MCGILLIVRAY15, b. 1847, Invernesshire.
v. ANGUS MCGILLIVRAY16, b. 1851, Invernesshire.
vi. ANNIE MCGILLIVRAY16, b. 1853,
vii. JANET MCGILLIVRAY16, b. 19 Apr 1855, Achloddan, Dunmaglass.
Notes for JANET MCGILLIVRAY:
Janet was the 12th child.
Generation No. 4
6. TAVISH4 MCTAVISH (ANGUS3, ISABELLA2 DUNBAR, ALEXANDER1)17 was born 1833 in Unknown, and died 16 Feb 1913 in Lapeer County, Michigan. He married SUSANNAH MILLER18. She was born 1858 in Ireland, and died 1942 in Marlette, Michigan.
Children of TAVISH MCTAVISH and SUSANNAH MILLER are:
i. ISABELLA SUSAN5 MCTAVISH18, b. 1877, Unknown.
ii. ANN MCTAVISH18, b. 1878, Unknown.
iii. ANGUS MCTAVISH18, b. 1879, Unknown.
iv. SUSANNAH MCTAVISH18, b. 1881, Unknown.
7. CATHERINE4 MCGILLIVRAY (ANN3 MCTAVISH, ISABELLA2 DUNBAR, ALEXANDER1)19 was born 1835 in Dunmaglass. She married DONALD SHAW20 11 Jan 1855 in Stratherrick Church Manse, son of WILLIAM SHAW and ISABELLA CAMERON. He was born 1825 in Aberarder.
Notes for CATHERINE MCGILLIVRAY: Alexander McGillivray and Donald McPherson witnesses at marriage in 1855. Simon Fraser was the registrar. Married in the Parish of Dores. Address given at marriage was Dunmaglass. Her birth was registered at the Episcopal church, Aberarder.
Notes for DONALD SHAW:
Witnesses at marriage Alex McGillivray and Donald McPherson. Simon Fraser was the Registrar. Born in Arberarder birth registered at Boleskine
More About DONALD SHAW: Occupation: Shoemaker
Child of CATHERINE MCGILLIVRAY and DONALD SHAW is:
i. TAVISH5 SHAW21, b. 09 Sep 1861, Ahenarder, Dunlichity.
8. ISABELLA4 MCGILLIVRAY (ANN3 MCTAVISH, ISABELLA2 DUNBAR, ALEXANDER1)22 was born 1839 in Achloddan Dunmaglass. She married ALEXANDER MCTAVISH23 12 Jul 1861 in Stratherrick, son of SIMON MCTAVISH and JANET GOLLAN. He was born 1833 in Inver.
Notes for ISABELLA MCGILLIVRAY:
place of residence at marriage put down as Achloddan. William and Duncan McGillivray witnesses at marriage. Married in the Free Church Manse.
Notes for ALEXANDER MCTAVISH:
Place of residence at time of marriage given as Gortanagaun? Married in the parish of Dores
Child of ISABELLA MCGILLIVRAY and ALEXANDER MCTAVISH is:
i. JANET5 MCTAVISH, b. 21 Sep 1861, Achloddan, Dunlichity.
9. ELIZABETH4 MCGILLIVRAY (ANN3 MCTAVISH, ISABELLA2 DUNBAR, ALEXANDER1)24 was born 1843 in Daviot, Daviot and Dunlichity, and died 25 Nov 1930 in Inverness Infirmary Inverness Scotland. She married JOHN FRASER25 28 Jan 1864 in Errogie Freechurch Stratherrick, son of DONALD FRASER and CATHERINE CAMPBELL. He was born 1840 in Dores.
Notes for ELIZABETH MCGILLIVRAY:
On Daughter Flora's marriage certificate known Elizabeth is shown as Eliza. Daughter Flora died 1900; baby granddaughter Flora Allan lived with the Frasers as stated on the 1901 census and not father Andrew Keir Allan. Residence at marriage given as Knockcarlin. Other place named was Achnaloddan parish of Davish and Dunlichity. Witnesses at marriage were William McGillivray and Donald Shaw. Widow at time of her death in 1930. John Fraser son-in-law registered her death. On the 1901 census address was 1 Newtonhill, Kirkhill, Invernesshire. In 1881 address is Lupruane, Kilmonivaig, Invernesshire, schoolmaster William McPherson aged 44 years born in Kingussie, Invernesshire lived with the family. Flora's birth certificate puts marriage date as 26/01/1864.
Notes for JOHN FRASER:
Address 1901 1 Newton Hill, Kirkhill. Daughter Flora died 1900, baby granddaughter Flora lived with them instead of her father Andrew Keir Allan. Witnesses at marriage William McGillivray and Donald Shaw. Address at marriage given as Knockcarlin. Married in the parish of Dores in the County of Invernesshire. 1881 census address Lupruane or Lupruarie, Kilmonivaig, Invernesshire
More About JOHN FRASER: Occupation: Crofter/Shepherd
Children of ELIZABETH MCGILLIVRAY and JOHN FRASER are:
i. FLORA5 FRASER26, b. 25 Mar 1866, Kinchyle near Dores, Invernesshire, Scotland; d. 28 Feb 1900, Greengairs by Airdrie Lanarkshire; m. ANDREW KEIR ALLAN27, 10 Jul 1895, 20 Church Street, Inverness; b. 20 Feb 1870, Newhouse, Bothwell, Holytown, Scotland; d. 02 Nov 1941, The Rowantree House, Holytown Lanarkshire.
Notes for FLORA FRASER:
Flora had pneumonia and died after a duration of five days, aged 30 years. Her death was registered in Airdrie in the Parish of New Monkland in the county of Lanark. Her address at time of her marriage was Newton Hill Kirkhill. Marriage witnesses Arthur Royle and James Allan and Catherine Fraser her younger sister. On the 1881 census the family lived at Lupruane, Kilmonivaig. Invernesshire. Her daughter Flora went to live with her maternal grandparents after her mother died. Her daughter Flora's details were down on the 1901 census for Kirkhill with the Frasers.
More About FLORA FRASER: Occupation: Dressmaker
Notes for ANDREW KEIR ALLAN:
1871 aged 1 years lived Newhouse, Bothwell. In 1891 he lived at Biggar Road, Bothwell, Holytown. In 1891 he lived with widowed mother/siblings. Wed Flora Fraser 10/07/1895 in Inverness. Flora died 1900, he then married Helen or Ellen Templeman. 1901-census puts Eleanor Templeman 30 years, as housekeeper, with sons Isaac and John in Bothwell. Daughter Flora living with the Frasers (grandparents) in Inverness. Malcom Cowan witness at 2nd marriage to Ellen Templeman, James Allan at first. Death registered by his son Isaac.
More About ANDREW KEIR ALLAN: Occupation: Coal Miner
ii. JOHN FRASER, b. 1868, Dores.
Notes for JOHN FRASER:
1881 lived with family at Lupruane, Kilmonivaig, Invernesshire
iii. DUNCAN FRASER, b. 1870, Dores.
Notes for DUNCAN FRASER:
1881 lived Lupruane, Kilmonivaig with family
iv. CATHERINE FRASER, b. 1873, Kilmonivaig.
Notes for CATHERINE FRASER:
1881 census lived at Lupruane, Kilmonivaig Invernesshire with family. Witness at sister Flora's marriage to Andrew Keir Allan in 1895.
v. WILLIAM FRASER, b. 1876, Kilmonivaig.
Notes for WILLIAM FRASER:
1881 lived with family in Lupruane, Kilmonivaig, Invernesshire
vi. DONALD FRASER28, b. 1878, Kilmonivaig.
Notes for DONALD FRASER: Found him on census when looking for Flora Allan the grand daughter and niece. Living with parents at 1 Newton Hill, Kirkhill, Invernesshire with the rest of the family apart from sister Flora, the baby's mother, who died in 1900. In 1881 lived with family at Lupruane, Kilmonivaig, Invernesshire
More About DONALD FRASER: Occupation: Shepherd
vii. TAVISH FRASER, b. 1880, Kilmonivaig.
Notes for TAVISH FRASER:
1881 lived with family at Lupruane, Kilmonivaig, Invernesshire
viii. ANNABELLA FRASER28, b. 1886, Arisaig.
Notes for ANNABELLA FRASER:
Found her looking for niece Flora Allan born in 1899, mother's death in 1900. Address in 1901 was 1 NewtonHill, Kirkhill, Invernesshire